On this week’s free, weekly webinar series we discussed fiscal lessons learned from EHS-CCP Round 1, and how to turn those mistakes into tools for building a strong fiscal approach in Round 2. From our perspective, the number one challenge among EHS-CCP Round 1 programs is fiscal. With Round 2 on the horizon the time is right to start planning your proposal, and your fiscal approach must be a central part of that discussion.
So, what have we discovered? Below are the top five fiscal lessons learned that we’ve encountered with EHS-CCP Round 1:
- Applicants/grantees underestimate the true cost of quality
- Applicants/grantees did not adequately involve partners in the proposal process
- Applicants/grantees did not develop fiscal goals and objectives that aligned with larger EHS-CCP initiative
- Applicant/grantees overestimated the skill sets of their child care partners and their own ability to provide fiscal/business advice to the community child care sector
- Applicants/grantees proposed one classroom in a financially fragile partner centers
And what can you do with this information? Plan, plan, plan. Be aware of fiscal realities. Ask lots of questions to get the information you’ll need to build a comprehensive proposal that achieves the ultimate goal of EHS-CCP – increased community supply of high-quality early learning environments and infant/toddler care and education.
You’ll need to determine the cost of quality for your partners and how to close that gap with EHS-CCP. Be sure to include your partners in planning, because getting everyone to the table at the beginning will help make things easier in the end. During your planning process, make sure you remain focused on aligning your fiscal goals and objectives with EHS-CCP. Be aware of your partners’ fiscal skill set and, if needed, find resources and support to help them navigate EHS-CCP fiscal processes. Having your fiscal approach on track from the start will help to ensure smoother implementation post-award.
Next week we’ll be offering two webinars, one for existing Round 1 EHS-CCP grantees and one for new (non-Round 1) applicants. We hope you’ll join us!
- For new applicants: Fiscal Strategy for New (non-Round 1) Applicants. Register to join us on Tuesday, March 22 from 1:30-2:15pm EST.
- For existing EHS-CCP Round 1 grantees: Fiscal Strategy for Existing /Round 1 EHS-CCP Winners. Register to join us on Thursday, March 24 from 1:30-2:15pm EST.
Foundations for Families offers EHS-CCP grantees targeted technical assistance and strength-based coaching of key start-up staff. We have helped multiple organizations design, plan for, and draft successful proposals for the first round of EHS-CCP and plan to offer the same expertise for any new opportunities. Please be in touch with Amy Augenblick, Executive Director, at 703-599-4329 or Augenblick@foundationsforfamilies.com to learn about how we can support you and your program.