It’s hard to believe it has been over six months since the implementation of the new Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS). Time flies, and we hope it has been a smooth journey for your program to implement the new standards!
The August 1, 2017 compliance date for some standards is now just 7 weeks away. This includes:
- Assessment – 1302.33(b)(1) through (3)
- Coordinated coaching strategy and coaching staff qualifications – 1302.92(c)
- Curricula for center-based and family child care programs – 1302.32(a)(1)(ii) and (iii); 1302.32(a)(2); and 1302.32(b)
- Curriculum for home-based programs – 1302.35(d)(1) through (3)
- Early Head Start home-based service duration – 1302.22(c)(1)
- Management of program data – 1302.101(b)(4)
- Quality Rating and Improvement Systems (QRIS) and Data Systems – 1302.53(b)(2); and 1302.53(b)(3): Data systems
If you missed our blog post earlier this year about how to prepare for compliance, check it out to learn about resources, strategies, and developing action plans with your implementation team.
As the August 1 compliance date is fast approaching, here are a few tips to help keep your team on track.
Check in with team members. Even if it seems like everything is on track to be compliant by August 1 check in with your team members to ensure this is the case. Find out if there are any anticipated delays in timelines or if additional resources or support are needed.
Flag the main issues and barriers. Look at each of the standard areas and ask your team, where are we having trouble? If there are barriers then flag them at the top of your list and prioritize. Then, figure out who needs to be involved to help address the barriers and develop an action plan to ensure you’re on the right course toward compliance.
Have a timeline and stick to it. Make sure every action item between now and August 1 has a timeline. Know who is responsible and by when. Summer can be a challenging time between conferences, vacations, and program year changes. Encourage team members to communicate regularly about the status of their action items and timelines so that there are no surprises or delays.
As always, don’t forget to celebrate your successes!