It’s been about two months since the Office of Head Start released the new Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS). As we’re sure you’re well aware, this means that the effective date of the new standards is nearly here. On November 7, 2016 the new HSPPS will officially go into effect! It’s exciting, but perhaps not without a bit of stress. We’ve been following along with all of the guidance released by OHS, tuning into their monthly webinars, and digging into the new standards. Check out our recent blog posts for recaps and tips!
If you don’t already, we recommend having the Compliance Table a handy for reminder about the standards that have later compliance dates. Below we’ve organized the key information from the Compliance Table sequentially by compliance date (remember, it is important to look at the Compliance Table for the specific standards impacted!).
August 1, 2017
- Complete background check procedures
- Coordinated coaching strategy and coaching staff qualifications
- Curricula for center-based and family child care programs
- Curriculum for home-based programs
- Early Head Start home-based service duration
- Management of program data
- Quality Rating and Improvement Systems (QRIS) and Data Systems
August 1, 2018
- Child Development Specialist staff qualification
- Early Head Start center-based service duration
- Home visitor staff qualifications
August 1, 2019
- Head Start center-based service duration (50% at 1,020 annual hours)
August 1, 2021
- Head Start center-based service duration (100 percent at 1,020 annual hours)
This month we’ll hear from OHS in their HSPPS Talk Webinar scheduled for November 16, 2016. It will be the first Talk Webinar since the standards will have gone into effect, and we’re curious to hear questions submitted by the field and any new guidance from OHS. Watch for our recap blog post after the webinar!
We have successfully worked with agencies in every round of recompetition to write winning grants, design competitive programs, confirm prudent budgets, and plan for a manageable start-up period. Contact Amy Augenblick, Executive Director, at (703) 599-4329 or email@example.com to learn about how we can help.